[time-nuts] Japan Quake May Have Shortened Earth Days, Moved Axis

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Thu Jul 14 23:15:11 UTC 2011

On 7/14/2011 2:02 PM, Steve Rooke wrote:

> Well, if everyonel climbed Everest and we all jumped up and down
> together, perhaps we could achieve that :)
>
> Cheers, Steve

I can't resist moving this off-topic thread by a giant leap.

I have a 1969 R. Crumb comic book starring Fritz the Cat. In one story,
Fritz discovers the Chinese have a rocket program. The rocket is powered
by the vast population blowing into tubes.

I didn't think this was practical but it did occur to me that they could
have a workable WMD (although the term wasn't yet popular) if they got
all the Chinese to climb up on a chair and jump down at exactly the same
time (give or take a few milliseconds). Back in 1969 this wasn't
workable because there was no way to get everyone jumping in sync. We
all know that devices that could coordinate this event are becoming
common and pretty cheap. You could reduce the required number of
accurate clocks by gathering the jumpers into large venues like
auditoriums or sporting arenas. Or just broadcast a count down from
local radio stations with good clocks.

Seems most of us are making our recent purchases of accurate timing
devices from sellers in China. Is that just a coincidence?