[time-nuts] The future of UTC

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Fri Jul 15 21:32:31 UTC 2011

On 07/15/11 05:18 PM, Jose Camara wrote:
> I think before adding to the fire of UTC1, UTC7 etc. why not just abolish
> this silliness called Daylight Savings Time?

I would agree with that.

I play chess on a chess server

The server runs at EST. Some team games are scheduled and the organisers insist
on using the server time. Normally my ofset from the server is 4 hours, but for
a couple of weeks it is 5 hours, as the UK and US implement DST on different days.

I've suggested the server switch to using GMT or UTC (same thing for the
practicalities of organising a chess game). The orgainsers tell me most
Americans don't understand GMT or UTC. Since more Americans play on the server
than anyone else, we have to suffer the consequences.

I really fail to see what DST achieves. People will do jobs at a time
appropriate for doing them.

DST is just one big pain.