[time-nuts] Discipline an oscillator with NTP?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Jul 22 23:01:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 13:27:34 -0500
"Jason Rabel" <jason at extremeoverclocking.com> wrote:

> I was just thinking (dangerous I know)... Has anyone attempted to
> build a stand-alone oscillator that is disciplined via NTP?
>
> i.e. NTP keeps it on-frequency... And I'm not talking about NTP that is
> locked to a local GPS, I'm curious about purely syncing to
> other NTP servers over a network. (The presumption is that you have no
> access to GPS, WWVB, Cellular, or similar.)
>
> Is it even possible or am I just day dreaming?

There is something similar. Somewhere on the net, a guy described how
he build a frequency counter using ntp. Unfortunately i'm unable
to find it. AFAIK it worked pretty well with decent results, if the
integration time was in the hours (iirc less than a day).

				Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?