[time-nuts] The future of UTC

Ron Smith ronald.p.smith at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 23 09:55:48 UTC 2011

The problem is: multiple users in a wide area application, where manual
reset of the "new" time is required - and some don't bother..

I have to process CCTV images from a wide range of separate, individual
organisations, over whom I have no control.
Some of them do a reset, others do not. Twice per year a lot of my time is
wasted sorting out who has gone to DST (or vice versa) and who hasn't.
Just as some users realise their system time is out by one hour, it's the
time of year to change again!
Automatic resets are the answer, but the smaller cheap-skate organisations
will not spend the money.

As soon as this illogical twice-yearly fiasco is ended, the better.
Daylight Saving Time is a misnomer anyway - it's really Daylight Shifting
Time.
If you want more daylight, get out of bed earlier. Hate DST, keep UTC
Universal.

Ron The One