[time-nuts] Discipline an oscillator with NTP?

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sun Jul 24 00:17:28 UTC 2011

> ntpd is the server.

Scott: OK. Here's what I get from man ntpd:

"The ntpd program is an operating system daemon which sets and maintains
the system time of day in synchronism with Internet standard time
servers."

What I want to do is build a little local net only "standard time server"

The man goes on to say:
"The ntpd program operates by exchanging messages with one or more
configured servers at designated poll intervals. When started, whether
for the first or subsequent times, the program requires several
exchanges from the majority of these servers so the signal processing
and mitigation algorithms can accumulate and groom the data and set the
clock"

So, I essentially want to feed ntpd and its MSoft equivalents.

I found the www.ntp.net site, that apparently has open software to do
this. As I looked further, there seem to be a LOT of so-called primary
NTP servers out there that are quite simply malware sites using NTP to
infiltrate. Yikes. as usual, I go looking for some simple thing, and
find I've whacked the tarbaby another lick... (see Uncle Remus Stories).

Thanks for the input!!!
Don

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road