[time-nuts] Anyone know of a frequency comparator module or kit?

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Fri Jul 29 19:49:16 UTC 2011

> Hello Folks,
>
> New time nut here.
> I have a Fluke 103A frequency comparator which I use  with a Z3801
> GPS to other frequency sources.
> At 1 time I had a bunch of HP oscillators  plug ins and it was great
> fun to watch each of these plug ins warm up, move back and for across 10
> Mhz.
> Finally, being able to steer the modules using the voltage control etc.
>
> The fluke does not allow for 10 MHz input signals.  5 MHz is the
> maximum so I need to do divide  on the 10 MHz before comparison.
> So is there a module that I can use to put inside a chassis along
> with or without a divider and it will output an analog voltage?

> I want to take some oscillators( 5 10 Mhz ) and do some experiments,
> IE: insulation, increasing the mass second ovens and such, then log the
> results.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Paul A. Cianciolo
>
> W1VLF

Paul,
I have a 103A also; my solution to the problem was to build a divider to get
from 10 MHz to 1MHz.  If you're goal is to get down to parts in 10 e-10 or
better, then I recommend that you get one of the dividers from David at
http://www.perdrix.co.uk/FrequencyDivider/index.html.  The board accepts
your 10MHz input and provides outputs of 10MHz, 5MHz, 1MHz, and a decade
selectable output from 100KHz to 1Hz.  Very low jitter and noise.
Alternatively, you might look at retuning the RF transformers and peaking
coils on the 5MHz board from 5MHz to 10MHz by changing the capacitors around
them.   I know I have a manual for my 103A, but it's still packed up from my
move last year.  Maybe someday soon I'll lget all the boxes emptied and can
find something when I need it.

Cheers,
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net