[time-nuts] locate 6 digit digital clock

Flemming Larsen oz6oi at yahoo.dk
Thu Jun 9 07:24:59 UTC 2011

Lovely!

My first exposure to TTL logic circuits was through building a Nixie Clock.
It looked nice, and certainly impressed my college dorm-mates, but didn't keep very
good time. Very sensitive to power-line noise and dropouts, and I never got the seconds
and minutes counters to reset to zero reliably on the count of 60. Now I know better, but
I'm not sure that I want to go back to using 1970s technology.

Except, of course, if I could find a nice set of nixie tubes at a reasonable price, and a
set of sockets and a transformer for the high-voltage supply ... !

The controller chip looks interesting, and certainly has a lot of desirable features. It may
be easily adaptable to different display types. I agree on the lack of a 1 PPM input, and I
would prefer a 10 MHz TCXO timebase over the standard 32.768 kHz oscillator.

-- Flemming Larsen