[time-nuts] lightsquared test in las vegas

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Jun 9 17:09:43 UTC 2011

Hi Jason:

For more than a decade the best internet connection I could get was
2-way satellite.  The major problem with that is the ping time which
approaches one second and no amount of technology will change it one
iota (i.e. it's determined by two round trips up and back to the
satellite and the speed of light).  Now that I've got DSL the ping time
is in the 25 ms area, see:  http://www.prc68.com/I/attDSL.shtml

With DSL I can now get Netflix streaming video.  This means watching
movies, some in HD.  Crackle and others offer a similar service.  This
takes much more bandwidth than YouTube.  Note that YouTube has a 10
minute time limit and used to have a file size limit, but the file size
limit has been removed to encourage HD and/or 3D format uploads.  I've
heard the movies over the internet are driving internet bandwidth.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com