[time-nuts] Fluke PM6681 triggering

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jun 9 18:43:18 UTC 2011

On 06/09/2011 07:30 PM, Peter Vince wrote:
> Hi Rex,
>
>       You could try asking the guys at Pendulum.  A couple of them came
> down a gave a talk at the UK's National Physical Laboratory "Time&
> Frequency Club" meeting a few years ago and were very interesting and
> approachable.  It looks like they might have been swallowed by
> Spectracom now - see:
>
> <http://www.spectracomcorp.com/ProductsServices/TestandMeasurement/tabid/1244/Default.aspx>

They are part of Spectracom now, but the people is still there. The
CNT-81 production stopped only due to lack of key components. The CNT-81
has a full custom chip in it for the time counter stuff.

I had one for a while but swapped gear with a fellow time-nut.

The manuals is downloadable from Fluke if you follow the PM-6681 search.
The Fluke connection goes back to they days when Philip Industries in
Järfälla designed and manufactured a lot of the Philips stuff. Then
Fluke came into the picture and after number of years Philips killed of
that branch of the buissness, but Harald took over the remains and
formed Pendulum. Pendulum itself has swallowed XL in the US and a result
of that was the development of the CNT-90XL which brings the CNT-90 base
into higher frequencies, using the base functionality of the CNT-90 with
the key technology of the XL stuff.

The CNT-81 is a nice box, but the CNT-90 is much more versatile. Still,
there is room for improvements!

If there is any specifics, let me know and I'll try to find out.

To the best of my knowledge regarding this thread, the most specific
issue related to triggering on that specific signal. I've often found
good use for a good scope along-side counters, because you need to do
the reality check to know what your actual signal is, and then be able
to trigger properly on it. For more expensive counters, I also want to
check the signal range. That way I can see if I have any runt pulses to
avoid or possibly filter out....

Cheers,
Magnus