[time-nuts] Thunderbolt no usable sats.

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sun Jun 12 19:26:45 UTC 2011

Is there more than one hardware version of the T'bolt?

Mine has U18 (right behind the RS-232 connector) as an Intersil
ICL232IBE.  This is a dual RS-232 transceiver that includes a doubler
and inverter to generate plus and minus 9 to 10 volts from the +5
input.  It appears to have the required capacitors on the bottom of the
board.  The open circuit RS-232 voltages on mine are just under 10 volts
which seems a little low for a 12 volt source.

I didn't try to run mine without -12, but the presence of that chip and
messages on this list made me think that the -12 was only used for the DAC.

Ed