[time-nuts] low-loss cable

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 12:21:33 UTC 2011

Hi Dick,

See page 27 of this document (as numbered at the bottom of the page, or PDF
page 29):
http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-388613/ThunderboltE_UG_1B.pdf

The Trimble Bullet antenna for the TBolt has ">28dB gain" and they recommend
RG-59 coax.  Brooke's page ( http://www.prc68.com/I/ThunderBolt.shtml#Ant )
mentions the TBolt is happy with an antenna gain between 18 and 35dB.   He
also mentions to watch out for the voltage to the antenna.   A lot of newer
antennas run on 3.3 volts instead of the 5V being injected up the line by
the Thunderbolt.    I'm having a problem with Symmetricom clocks at work
where they switched to injecting 12 volts up the line (previously models
were 5 volts) so I had to get up on the roof and swap antennas.

-Bob