[time-nuts] Advice on NTP server needed

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jun 14 05:20:21 UTC 2011

> As far as I can tell, gpsd isn't a real daemon. That is, it doesn't show up
> under services. You have to start it up by other means.

[I know next to nothing about Windows so if "under services" means Windows,
this may be irrelevant.]

gpsd works fine as a daemon.  The details depend upon which OS and/or
distribution you are using.

There are two ways to setup gpsd.  One is to grab the source tar file, build,
install...  The other is to get a version of gpsd and ancillary files setup
for your distribution.

If you do a >yum install gpsd< on Fedora, it will install a udev rule to
start gpsd when a USB TTY device is plugged in.

It also comes with /etc/rc.d/init.d/gpsd and /etc/sysconfig/gpsd so it should
be easy to modify things to start on booting if you want it to use something
like /dev/ttyS0