[time-nuts] Advice on NTP server needed

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jun 15 05:22:51 UTC 2011

> As for Internet, yes we do have an connection, but via GPRS so it is not any
> good for ntp use. As for performance I am seeing 200-400 ms today with GPRS
> which is not good enough for my application, I hope to get down into low or
> sub ms range.

It would be an interesting experiment to see how well things work (or appear
to work) over your GPRS link.

The delay per-se is not a problem for ntpd.  It assumes the link delays are
symmetric.  You will get in trouble if you have long variable queuing delays,
say due to a big download.

I'd suggest setting up ntpd and turning on lots of logging.  Then graph the
log files to see how things are going.

I'll say more if you want.  (Contact me off-line.)