[time-nuts] DDS - Cosine v. Sine LUT

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 21 19:31:42 UTC 2011

Brent,

For the specific case of generating a synchronous FSK signal with a fairly wide
shift there may be a reason. Such an application presumes a high enough ratio
between clock and output frequencies such that the DDS accumulator landing
adequately near zero is a certainty. If the FSK frequency is changed
synchronously - just after the point of DDS accumulator rollover - a sine LUT
would potentially show an abrupt change in dv/dt (slew rate) with the frequency
change. By using a cosine LUT the signal would be at its peak, and dv/dt would
be virtually zero both before and after the frequency change.

Bob LaJeunesse
Ann Arbor, MI