[time-nuts] Cooling Fan Information Needed

gonzo . cadbloke at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 24 13:48:26 UTC 2011

Hi Perrier,
I think I may have started that thread.

My first problem was that the side panels had been swapped so their was minimal airflow past the transformer.
Swapping the side panels dropped the heatsink temp by about 7°C

My second problem was that I couldn't source a 115V fan.  I replaced the fan with a  12V PAPST type: 8412/2.
These are a reasonably long life fan with similar characteristics to the original. It didn't add any additional cooling effect, but the drop in noise was appreciated.
My original fan was a Pamotor 8500D (also made by Papst). I assumed the long obsolete 8000D has similar specs to the current 8000DP

Although I havent fitted them yet, I also picked up a pair of 12V 40mm PAPST type: 412 F2H. These are to be fitted to the outside of the heatsink (recessed into the transistor channels) and I'll run them at ~7V.
Running slowly, they will be virtually silent, but I expect a significant drop in the heatsink temp.

cheers,
ian

http://img.ebmpapst.com/products/datasheets/DC-axial-fan-412F-ENG.pdf
http://datasheet.octopart.com/8412/2-EBM-Papst-datasheet-18371.pdf