[time-nuts] 60 Hz measurement party

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Jun 25 23:07:08 UTC 2011

> Great idea Tom!
>
> I'm safely on my 50 Hz grid over here, so I let you guys play around in
> your end.
>
> Maybe we should do something on our grid, we are a few time-nuts on the
> nordic grid.
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus

Magnus,

Yes, after the current 60 Hz excitement here in the US winds down
my longer-term idea is for many of us to continuously monitor our
local power frequency with some sort of web-uploading TAPR kit
and then have an informal international TDEV competition. There
are now time-nuts in dozens of countries so this is both possible
and interesting.

You're welcome to collect data on your 50 Hz; it could serve as a
benchmark for us time drifters here in the west.

Extrapolating further, I wonder if anyone has done common view
time transfer based on synchronized power grids? Although not
as precise as LF or TV or GPS methods it would make a nice
demo of the concept.

/tvb