[time-nuts] 60 Hz measurement party

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Sun Jun 26 23:27:53 UTC 2011

   Will Matney wrote:

     snip

     As of now, the only 3 phase lines around here are close to the major
     roads where business resides, but when you get into the residential
     areas, it's only single phase on the poles.

     Best,

     Will

   Will,

   I am going to have to disagree with your statement above (in blue).  In
   residential areas the top three lines are 3 phase and, typically, 4
   KV.  Yes, only single phase is routed to homes as 220 volts center
   tapped via a transformer.  AND, you will also see three (3) 220 volt
   lines at a lower level on the poles feeding the houses grouped for that
   transformer.  Depending upon routing, there may be small runs that are
   stringers from a transformer where only the 220 volt wires are run, but
   only because there was no intent to continue the 4 KV bus in that
   direction.

   The reason for the 3 phase is to balance the load to the substation.
   That is the transformers are spread out along the path and connected
   (single phase) alternately across different phases.

   At least that is how it is done out here on the West Coast !  I realize
   there may be exceptions in really old areas of the country,
   particularly along the East Coast.

   I am located in San Diego, CA area.  What part of the country are you
   in ?

   Bill....WB6BNQ