[time-nuts] 60 Hz measurement party

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Mon Jun 27 17:24:35 UTC 2011

Mark,

Transients, etc, might cause some hiccups, as I thought about this too.
Plus, there's not much one can do about them, unless you look at what
happened via a waveform, at the time.

Best,

Will

On 6/27/2011 at 9:43 AM Mark Spencer wrote:

>I once worked on a project in India where we had electrical problems
that went
away when reportedly the building owners watered the building ground
system.   I
never got an explanation if there was supposed to be a  functional
neutral
connection or if the ground system was serving as the neutral.

To get back on the 60 Hz measurement topic, I tried measuring the phase
difference between the 60 Hz line here in BC and the 1pps output of my
thunderbolt and a sample of the results are shown in the attached file.

I'm not sure if the results I am seeing are  valid or not.    My
signal source
is a 16 volt doorbell transformer that feeds a voltage divider which in
turn
feeds my 5370B with an approx 2 volt sine wave.   Setting the trigger
point on
the 5370B to 0 volts appears to provide the best results and the sine
wave from
the voltage divider looks to be clean on my scope.  But I'm
wondering if changes
in line voltage could be confusing things.

Regards
Mark Spencer