[time-nuts] No more 60Hz! TEC Elimination

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Mon Jun 27 18:54:53 UTC 2011

> >Running the transformer that way won't burn it up at that instant, it just
> >causes it to run hotter, because it's closer to saturation, and it shortens
> >the life span a good bit.
>
>I have yet to hear of any evidence for that being a problem with
>US kit here in Denmark, probably because most kit is not run at
>the extreme top end of its temperature specification.

I once was retained by a US manufacturer to determine why its
high-end amps and preamps had a nearly 100% failure rate in Europe
and Japan.  It was their power transformers, which lacked sufficient
core for 50 Hz operation -- they overheated and opened the internal
thermal link.  One customer had "repaired" his by digging out the
thermal link and bypassing it with a short.  His got hot enough to
cook the paper and enamel and produce smoke.

Best regards,

Charles