[time-nuts] Three Phase Power

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Tue Jun 28 01:33:18 UTC 2011

Jason,

What will be funny is when all the neighbourhood hoodlums start stealing
all the antenna modules off the poles, or an enterprising teen electronics
whiz kid starts jamming the signal. I can see antenna modules piling up at
scrap yards, sitting beside the aluminum pop cans, as I speak.

My major worry is about the time base they use, and whether we will end up
getting the dirty end of the stick, so to speak. They figure Joe Blow down
on the corner don't know enough about this stuff to question it, but just a
few of us do. Also, as John mentioned, we have ignorant politicians who
will go along with it. Also, like you, I haven't seen much printed about
them, just what I've found. I figure, if we're footing the bill, I want it
as precise as possible, and not in just the amount I use, but over the
amount of time I used it.

I'll leave a parting shot at AEP on this. When I closed up the building I
had the shop in, I went down to our AEP office at the time, and paid off my
bill, the day after I had them to put a boot on the meter, and a new seal
on it. It was read that day. Well, the next month, I get another bill, and
I take it to AEP, and ask what's up, and show them a time stamped photo of
the meter, with the seal and boot still on it. They had the audacity to
tell me, that it still must have been something using the power, and the
meter had been read, but it had never been tampered with. Now, you tell me
what happened? I never paid that bill either. My guess, it all revolved
around the meter reader.

Best,

Will

On 6/27/2011 at 6:17 PM Jason Rabel wrote:

>I know the older style meters currently in use usually slow down over time
(a minuscule amount, but still I guess it adds up).

>I do not know if the talk about demand meters and timing were about
current meters or the new "smart meters"...

>I've seen some new meters (I'm assuming the smart ones) that show the time
of day on them. They recently put up a bunch of
>directional antennas on power poles and little boxes beneath them. My
understanding is that they are creating a kind of private
>wi-fi network... Talk about ultimate funny if L2's network jammed
theirs... lol. But seriously, I would guess these meters would get
>time from the private network. How the display time interacts with the
internal timing I do not know.

>The power company has published exactly zero documents on these meters
that I've been able to find. Just the usual propaganda that
>these are good for you and will save you (and them) money!
>
>I worry too that these new meters are just a stepping stone to bill during
on and off peak hours...

>If things get too far out of hand, we have ~65,000 sqft of rooftop that
would be an excellent candidate for solar panels.

>The power company has been on full alert too it seems lately. We have a
few offices that are empty, but we keep the power on for
>maintenance reasons. Well a few months after the tenants moved out, a guy
from the power company came to check the meter and such.
>They noticed the usage dropped to near zero and they wanted to make sure
the meter wasn't broken or they weren't stealing
>electricity. Apparently the power company didn't get the memo about the
recession and countless small businesses closing up shop.

>On a somewhat similar note... I *finally* put my time servers on a UPS
today. Now every time the power flashes they won't get reset!
>Last week I found a guy on craigslist selling a couple APC Smart-UPS
750XL's. When I got there he also had FIVE battery packs to go
>along with the two UPSes. I got them for a steal (I assumed the batteries
would all be bad) and upon bringing them back to the shop
>the batteries seemed in rather good condition after doing some testing and
checking the date codes. Each UPS has 2 x 18Ah batteries,