[time-nuts] Three Phase Power

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Tue Jun 28 02:48:02 UTC 2011

The problem comes down to the lack of good storage to level the load.

With big thermal (coal or nuke) plants the mechanical power applied to the
generators has to equal the electrical power delivered to the load
(ignoring losses). If more power is put in than goes out the generator
speeds up and this really messes up the network.

However, the load from the network is not constant. People turn things on
and off.

What the utilities do, approximately, is run the big plants at the average
expected load. If load starts to increase or decrease, they vary the
mechanical input. However, when load gets really high and the plants are
maxed out, they bring on "peaking power" from gas turbines. The peaking
power is more expensive, so they charge big users more.

Basically, the utrilities know the demand will be greater at certain times
of the day, so they charge peak rates for the KWH used during tjose times.

-John