[time-nuts] TEC party file format?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Jun 29 14:53:43 UTC 2011

Chris,

Sounds good. Somebody that's interested or knows NTP (not me)
can be the first to set up a mains frequency timed PC, publish
fancy MRTG plots on the web, and watch the TEC test in July.

Realize this is all just for fun. TEC should have zero impact on
modern computer networks. The last system I worked with that
relied on 60 Hz power for timekeeping was a 70's PDP 11/34.

/tvb

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Albertson" <albertson.chris at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement" <time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] TEC party file format?

The Linux or BSD pulse per second interface is general enough to work for this.
It does not care if the pulses are one per second or 100 per second, or 60.

Al it does it capture a timmer/counter when a pulse comes in.  Then
fets a flag a user program can read that says "data available".  The
user level programs reads the device ad gets the captured counter
value, the flag is reset.  Very simple and very low overhead.

I think the counter units are nanoseconds