[time-nuts] TEC party file format?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jun 30 08:51:46 UTC 2011

tvb at LeapSecond.com said:
> Realize this is all just for fun. TEC should have zero impact on modern
> computer networks.

It will be interesting to see how much gear there is out there that derives
time keeping from the line frequency.

I suspect a lot of it doesn't matter much at the second/minute level.  (Who
cares if the sprinkler goes on at 6:00 or 6:02?)  I suspect there is an
assumption that they have to get reset occasionally, maybe on DST changes or
when power fail or ...

> The last system I worked with that relied on 60 Hz power
> for timekeeping was a 70's PDP 11/34.

IBM 360s bumped a slot in low memory on each cycle.  There was a switch
someplace to select bumping by 5 on 60 Hz systems and 6 on 50 Hz.  The net
result was incrementing by 300 counts per second.