[time-nuts] Lightsquared goes Global...

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Thu Jun 30 21:52:51 UTC 2011

Here's one thing that's fixing to happen, if any interference is allowed to
take place. All the large companies like Cat and Deere have been including
GPS guidance for the operators for a good while now. Most of your surveyers
now use GPS in about everything they do. If they are forced to go back to
the old ways of surveying, can you imagine the hold-up's, in the large
construction projects within our infrastructure, that this will cause? All
of those hold-up's equal over runs on time, which means huge amounts of
state and federal dollars having to be added to complate these projects.
They use GPS in graders and dozers to aquire any grade angle that the specs
call for, on top of where it supposed to be. The surveyers use it almost
strictly now to do any of their work. I can also see it adding years to
projects that is now underway, and I wonder if they have thought of any of
this? Surely Deere, Cat, and most likely Trimble, have tried to explain
this to the idiots in Washington?

Best,

Will

On 6/30/2011 at 1:00 PM Robert LaJeunesse wrote:

>Might be worth a read of some of Charlie Rhodes'  columns at TV
Technology. The
>latest is "Can Terrestrial Broadcasting and GPS Co-exist in Adjoining
Spectrum?"
>and is at http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/122176
>
>Over the years Charlie has presented what seems IMHO to be valid reasons
why TV
>white spaces - aka guardbands - exist and that terrestrial TV needs
them. Same
>applies for GPS and LS. I'd at least agree that the need for white
spaces is one
>main reason why "Terrestrial TV simply cannot use all the bandwidth it is
>allotted". Of course, my meaning of "use" here is that of "occupy". I
think Mr.
>Rhodes would contend even un-occupied spectrum is in use...
>
>Bob LaJeunesse

>From: "lists at lazygranch.com" <lists at lazygranch.com>

Spectrum has
>been whittled away at least twice. Once to create T-band. Again a little
bit
>when HDTV was rolled out. The band needs to be trimmed with a sawzall.

Of