[time-nuts] latest on the lightsquared 'saga'

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 3 20:09:24 UTC 2011

On 3/3/11 9:34 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> There's obviously major fuel behind this thing. I'm willing to pass up GPS
> underground. It's GPS out in the open that is my main concern. IF they are
> going to use this for "last mile" connect to homes it will indeed be
> everywhere and anywhere. IF that's the case, you loose all sorts of GPS
> stuff.
>
> I'd hate to see my GPSDO collection wind up sitting next to the Loran C
> stuff out in the shed.

My theory is that the reason that this can't work is complex enough
(yes, trivial for us time-nuts and GPS afficionados, but complex for
most others) so it looks like could work to a lot of people, and is
attractive, so the stock price would get bid up.

So, a wise person would do the following:
--->>> Wait for them to IPO
--->>> Watch the runup in stock price because it's the greatest thing
since sliced bread and will bring broadband to the unwashed masses,
resulting in world peace, etc.
--->>> short the stock or buy a default swap on them going under
Lightsquared "discovers" that there is an insurmountable regulatory hurdle
L2 says, "bummer, I guess we have to close up shop or redirect our efforts"
Stock price crashes

-->>> Cash in on the default swap or stock puts

or, a more benign one... you could keep quite a crew of folks busy
looking at all the ramifications and implications and doing studies for
half a dozen years, and then move onto something else after having
burned "other people's money" that was invested.