[time-nuts] GPS Filter

Ziggy ziggy9 at pumpkinbrook.com
Sat Mar 5 00:47:04 UTC 2011

The discussion got me to thinking about how we used to filter out nearby
interference on amateur TV - namely by using interdigital filters. This
led to a search for GPS interdigital filters which i did indeed find.
See Alison Microwave website at
<http://www.amlant.co.uk/DetailsAD430.htm> for one example of an
integrated antenna/filter/preamp. (I'm sure these aren't cheap, but I
haven't asked.) As for retrofitting, you could add a filter after the
antenna/amplifier assembly but I might be concerned that the amplified
GPS antenna is pretty wide and may have trouble with a Lightsquared
transmitter nearby. There are passive antennas though, and there are
in-line amps - you'd need to add the filter in between. We made these
ourselves for 439 and 1296 MHz - GPS L1 isn't much above that so with
some care it should be doable. The tuning can be finicky though :\

Ziggy