[time-nuts] Selling things on time-nuts (or other lists)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Mar 5 02:45:09 UTC 2011

Argh.  Sorry for botching the Subject on my previous message.  After a bit of
typing I decided to split it into two, but that was after I had "fixed" the
Subject and such.  Sigh.  So here is the other part...

-----

My opinions on announcements vs advertising on lists...

I hate blatant commercial advertising, more so the farther it is from the
main topic of the list.

I'm generally in favor of appropriate one-off advertisements/announcements by
active members or even semi-active or lurkers if the gear is hard to find.

If you are going to clutter up the list with a message, please include all
the details of all the goodies you are selling.

I prefer non-ebay, but if you have listed stuff on ebay, include their
numbers and/or URLs.

If you are an active (constructive) participant in a
list/newsgroup/forum/whatever, I'm happy with a short signature tacked on the
end of each message.  4 lines is the usual usenet limit.

There is a gray area in responding to requests for where to get something.
If it's widely available, I hate the responses that say nothing more than "Me
me me!!!".  On the other hand, I really appreciate responses from
vendors/reps who know what's going on and contribute useful details
(technical or marketing).  Synergy comes to mind as a good example.