[time-nuts] help with initial setup for Motorola M12+T GPS? is my board dead?

John Beale beale at bealecorner.com
Sat Mar 5 07:54:00 UTC 2011

I just received my first real piece of time hardware, a M12+T timing GPS.
At least, that's what it's supposed to be, it doesn't actually have any
label saying so. I got it online from this seller:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/Motorola-ONCORE-M12+T-timing-gps-receiver-1pps-100hz-105387652

The board I received looks like this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/bealevideo/GPS#5580118907079326290

I got the 2x5 0.05" connector, built a 3.0V power supply, and hooked up the
serial lines to a FTDI USB-to-serial (3.3V logic level) board, and am
trying to talk Motorola Binary at 9600 baud to it using WinOncore12. I
tried the "setup receiver" wizard, the "GPS self-test", and uploading an
almanac.  My scope shows the serial data from the PC going into the board,
but no signals ever come out. The TX line out of the board just sits
quietly at +3V.  Is there anything obvious I should be trying?  Thanks for
any help!