[time-nuts] pulling oscillators

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Sun Mar 6 02:45:59 UTC 2011

The resistor is needed because the crystal doesn't conduct DC. If a DC
path isn't present, then the inverter will not self-bias.

The inverter is weak, but this is all kind of relative. The channel
length is made long to minimize the current of the inverter since it
sits in the linear part of the transfer function. But the inverter is
still plenty strong.

If the resistor is internal, you can still jam the signal. It just means
power will be lost in the resistor.