[time-nuts] Low noise power supply

David VanHorn D.VanHorn at elec-solutions.com
Wed Mar 9 16:20:26 UTC 2011

Granted my case wasn't a GPS app, and I didn't have sufficient test equipment to properly document the noise level of the final solution, but it made a huge improvement in picture quality relative to the SMPS alone, and I routinely design very quiet switchers. In this particular application, a linear only solution was not an option. The system ran on three 123A cells for about 20 mins, with four of these imagers talking 27 MHz LVDS, a good sized FPGA, a fast processor running linux, high power Wifi, GPS receiver (antenova), and a suite of other sensors. The processor core alone ran six SMPSs.  Without good layout, the thing would have been an EMI nightmare.

The point of the 9000 was that it's CMRR is large, and I was able to put the SMPS feeding it in the "sweet spot" where the 9000 has best PSRR. That still requires high attention to current paths in layout but the result was very very good. Near starlight image capture where the factory recommended approach gave us nothing but noise at low light levels.