[time-nuts] Spacecraft Timekeeping

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Mar 9 18:25:30 UTC 2011

Kevin,

On 03/09/2011 06:39 PM, Kevin Watson wrote:
> Magnus,
>
>> Drop the receiver and antenna out of the equation and
>> just provide a timing signal on launch pad...
>
> I need to keep computers time synchronized from launch through at least
> arrival on orbit so that time-tagged network messages can be played back
> with some degree of fidelity. For this, I need the time source on the
> rocket. Using a GPSDO in holdover mode seems like a good solution.

If you only need to synchronise on launch pad, then you can separate off
the OCXO and training logic (TIC, CPU and DAC) from the GPS receiver and
antenna. Then you run in hold-over mode using the pieces you need. You
then use the same core for whatever other method you use.

If you use a space-capable GPS receiver, then just hook in.

Cheers,
Magnus