[time-nuts] NTP IRIG config help

Jim Kusznir jkusznir at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 19:40:31 UTC 2011

Thanks for the info!

I was adjusting the levels with alsamixer, which I suspect is a
digital mixer.  I hadn't thought of the potential issues there.

I was using the onboard sound, but I also have a "higher quality"
Soundblaster sound card.  Do some of these vary in quality so much as
to be unable to decode IRIG at all?

I think I will deploy PPS; I'd also like to deploy something to set my
time myself (IRIG sounds good), but I realize its not required.  I
haven't taken time to find all the connector-pieces to make the
required custom cable yet to do PPS; I had the parts on my shelf to
dump IRIG into my Line In on the sound card.

A related question:  for my IRIG out, should I directly dump that into
the sound card, use one BNC-T with a terminator, or two BNC-T's with
terminators, and pull the connection there?  Does it matter?

Thanks!
--Jim