[time-nuts] Spacecraft Timekeeping

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Mar 9 20:45:13 UTC 2011

Hi Tom, Kevin,

the JLT DROR GPSDO mentioned by Kevin in the original  email may be
overkill for this application, as it is designed to provide  very low phase noise
under extreme vibration conditions, and it  is state-of-the-art technology
and priced accordingly. It is designed to  interface directly with a vehicle
power supply, so that may help in simplifying  the installation.

Phase Noise doesn't seem to be a requirement here, and we do have a
"standard" version that does not have the phase-noise-under-vibration cleanup
loop installed to save substantial cost. It should work quite well in the
application, as it has various extremely low-g-sensitivity oscillators on board
that will keep drift to very small values even under very large
acceleration and  vibration, and temperature changes. It was designed to be essentially
 indestructible.

If cost is an issue, we have ultra-low-g versions of our FireFly-IIA
products available (our g-force product line) that are designed and tested to
provide a guaranteed holdover under the conditions that Tom mentions below.
They  are designed to guarantee drift in "backpack" type applications without
GPS, but  with lot's of thermal changes and a very wide temp range, loads of
acceleration  (shock, vibration, and tilt), and fast warmup. To give an
example, we can  achieve better than 0.1ppb per g per axis acceleration
sensitivity on the  worst-case axis on our g-force products.

So for example the FireFly-IIA g-force would have the following drift in a
hypothetical high-g application:

  g-force on average over entire trip - 3g (this extreme acceleration
would never happen in reality of course)
  average thermal change - 40 Degrees C
  allowed warmup time with GPS - 1 hour

Drift over 5 hour mission:

   3g x 0.1ppb/g + 40C * 0.005ppb/C + 0.1ppb initial error =  0.6ppb
overall average error over 5 hours

So in this extreme scenario we have 0.6ppb * 5 * 3600 = 10.8 microsecond
drift over 5 hours.

Aging and retrace is not taken into consideration here, but that should be
more than compensated by the unrealistic constant 3g acceleration error we
added  to the calculation.

The cost of our g-force products is only about 2x to 2.5x the price  of our
standard DOCXO products.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 3/9/2011 12:11:49 Pacific Standard Time,