[time-nuts] OysterQuartz Saga: Final Report

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Sat Mar 12 14:13:24 UTC 2011

Hello The Net:

My OysterQuartz has been resurrected and I am happy with the results.

I appreciate everyone's response.

I researched local watch repair facilities and found one in town.
After finding the right person to talk to, who knew that the
OysterQuartz really took a battery,
I had him send it off to the expert in Boston for a battery replacement.

Thanks for the pointers to the professional tooling to remove the back.

After 2 weeks the watch came back, working quite well.
The fee was 50$, mostly due to the effort to disassemble and reassemble
the case.

I had never considered it a "bling", but I will agree, a bling it is.
It was my personal entry into "Time Nuttiness", decades ago.
Watch manufacturer spec was +/- 30 seconds in a year.

My original use was as a transfer standard from a AN/GSQ-53 (?)
LF timing system that used a UK broadcast.

A decent site for the history can be found at:

http://oysterquartz.net/

The shop manual was interesting, identifying the battery part number as
well as where the adjustments are.

Interesting that the OysterQuartz is obsolete and has been out of
production for 10+ years.

The rumors of a new design OysterQuartz with a 10 year battery life were
quite interesting.

Thanks for all of the pointers and comments,

Stan, W1LE      Cape Cod    FN41sr

ZZZZz