[time-nuts] noise of a 5370

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Sat Mar 12 17:27:44 UTC 2011

At 12:00 PM 3/12/2011, Said Jackson wrote...
>The average will approach 0.0 as the number of samples is increased,
>but not the standard deviation.. The value displayed by their unit is
>standard deviation.

If you're measuring jitter of an external signal, accuracy is obviously
much worse than the internal jitter. But if you're measuring TI, both
the instrument and signal jitter get reduced with more measurements,
leaving a more accurate TI, doesn't it?

Being designed and sold as a TI analyzer, that seems right. It seems
the jitter test is mostly to make sure the unit is operating properly.

If I recall correctly, internal jitter is affected by tweaking the 200
MHz multiplier. Lacking a proper spectrum analyzer, that's the only
calibration I have been unable to do.