[time-nuts] Coalition to Save GPS

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 12 21:23:51 UTC 2011

On 03/12/2011 10:09 PM, Jim Palfreyman wrote:
> I find this quite strange. I have three questions:
>
> 1) Why would your FCC allow such a thing?

To enable "high capacity" wireless access.

> 2) For this company to have high bandwidth they're going to need a
> precision time source at each transmitter. Will it be gps??? :-)

It can be done, it has been done. They are big and lumpy filters...

> 3) Wouldn't the most used GPS devices in the US be smartphones (iPhone
> etc)? Tell those users that location services won't work any more and
> wait for a reaction.

GPS based E911-localization failing might be an interesting lackmus-test
for FCC.

Browsed through the Lockheed Martin and Deere feedbacks. Let's just say
that FCC and LightSquared has got the wrong type of management attention
now...

Cheers,
Magnus