[time-nuts] Coalition to Save GPS

Mahlon Haunschild mahlonhaunschild at cox.net
Sun Mar 13 01:25:00 UTC 2011

Jim, some of those questions are easy to answer:

(1) In the FCC the decisions in this case were (and are) made by lawyers
and politicians, which the engineers work for.  Lightsquared knew about
the frequency allocation loophole (lawyers) and they knew that if they
could take advantage of it fast and broadly enough (politics), they
could win.  They almost did.

(2) Depends on the signal scheme.  You're thinking it'll be like current
cell phone technology, which it doesn't have to be.  They probably don't
even know themselves yet how they're going to do it, but they certainly
have the resources to do it.

(3) If they get their license rest assured that GPS as we know it will
disintegrate, along with every user of it (civilian and military).  Rest
assured that a LOT of effort is being spent fighting this.

The really unfortunate part is that the effort to fight the Lightsquared
service is being wasted on a frequency allocation/service combo decision
that never should have been considered.  The engineers fighting this
fight have better things to do with their time than argue with lawyers
and politicians.

regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ

Message: 4