[time-nuts] Result of Earth Quake speeds up earth?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Mar 15 09:21:32 UTC 2011

> I hear in the Media that the earth quake sped the rotation of the earth up..

http://tinyurl.com/4pwgkte
http://earthsky.org/earth/richard-gross-japan-earthquake-shortened-earths-day-
1-8-millionths-of-a-second

It says:
  shortened Earth's day by 1.8 millionths of a second

Here is the JPL/NASA press release:
  http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2011-080

> Does this mean that we will not need to 'insert leap seconds' for a while,
> or does it mean that we will need to retract leap seconds that have been
> added?

I think the right question is:
  Will they be able to confirm the prediction?

2 microseconds per day is under a ms per year.  That's not very big on the
scale of a whole second.