[time-nuts] Result of Earth Quake speeds up earth?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 15 13:20:01 UTC 2011

On 3/15/11 1:49 AM, Chris H wrote:
> Hello,
> Firstly may I just say, my thoughts are with members of this list who
> are in Japan.
>
> Just a bit of an odd question...
> I hear in the Media that the earth quake sped the rotation of the earth
> up..
> Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, the media reported it. Yes, it's probably true, BUT, you can't
really measure it directly (you'd have to infer it from other measurements)
There was a discussion of this on this list with the last big
earthquake, as well.

> Does this mean that we will not need to 'insert leap seconds' for a
> while, or does it mean that we will need to retract leap seconds that
> have been added?

No.. the magnitude of the change is parts in 1E11 or thereabouts.

Regular old tidal drag slowing is bigger, and that's what mostly
contributes to leap seconds.