[time-nuts] Result of Earth Quake speeds up earth?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 17 06:00:26 UTC 2011

On 3/16/11 11:31 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Hal Murray<hmurray at megapathdsl.net>  wrote:
>
>> Your pointing accuracy is Y/X, or something close to that.
>
> That describes perfectly when radio can beat optics.   The angular
> resolution of the system is the aperture size over the wavelength.
> So you can see that a radio telescope must be on other 1000 times
> wider then an optical telescope if both are to have the same
> resolution.
>
> On an amateur budget optics wins because while one can afford a 12"
> diameter optical telescope a 1000 foot baseline antenna array will not
> fit in the typical back yard.

Ahhh.. but what about me and a buddy who lives about a mile away with
line of sight between us?  Or me and someone 50km away (albeit without
line of sight between)...

> optical scopes have a limited maximum size.  Currently this as roughly
> about 10 meters in diameter but technology exists to build a radio
> antenna array that is one Earth diameter wide.   So radio wins if you
> have a government or university sized budget

I'm thinking that you could do pretty darn well on a weekend hacker
budget..

Could you make the measurement in, say, 48 hours.. A portable setup
might be reasonable with a 10-20km baseline.