[time-nuts] Result of Earth Quake speeds up earth?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Mar 18 06:34:27 UTC 2011

Chris Albertson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 11:00 PM, jimlux<jimlux at earthlink.net>  wrote:
>

>> Could you make the measurement in, say, 48 hours.. A portable setup might be
>> reasonable with a 10-20km baseline.
>>
> Before you can even think about building a long baseline radio
> receiver the first goal is to be able to detect a quasar with just one
> receiver from a suburban back yard.   Then you can think about
> building two receivers.  From my reading most amateur targets are
> things like Cassiopeia A or the Crab Nebula.
>
> Synchronizing the several receivers that are spread aroud is not
> really even required.
You've obviously never tried doing this or you wouldn't make such claims.
Such solution space searches are impractical even today.

>   Many years ago astronomers would mail magnetic
> tapes and the data would be combined days after the observations
> After all if both receivers are looking at the same distant
> transmitters you should be able search for a solution.  But of course
> having good time tags reduces the search space.

They still used a hydrogen maser at each VLBI site.
Today they tend to mail hard drives instead.

A 10-12m diameter dish is probably close to the minimum feasible aperture.
A 4m dish can be made to work in conjunction with a mauch larger dish
(eg 30m).

Bruce