[time-nuts] BYMLBI (Back Yard Medium LBI)

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Mar 18 18:43:41 UTC 2011

The Naval Observatory and others have been doing this for years albeit
averaged over several observations and by fitting curves to the stellar
transit path in the transit circle focal plane eg:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1986IAUS..109..483H

The setup with Heidenhain elevation encoders etc was impressive when I
visited the facility in the 1980's.
The accomodation etc was in stark contrast to the Observatory a little
further up the hill where we only had underfloor heating and didnt
obseve from the comfort of a temperature controlled computer room.

Bruce