[time-nuts] 50/60 Hz clocks

Michael Poulos poulosmd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 18:48:34 UTC 2011

Cezary Rozluski wrote:
> Well – it is nice solution presented, but I would like ask you what
> would be from time-nuts perspective simple (the simplest ?) solution
> to drive such 50/60 Hz clocks without to much overweighed stuff (and
> of course without modifying the clock itself addig e.g step motor etc,
> etc)
We had this discussion a while back. Try the archives and search on "Got
60HZ?". I started that discussion with having come up with a dithering
strategy to make a nearly exact 60HZ squarewave out of 10,000HZ from a
frequency dividing chip. From 10,000HZ, making 50HZ would be easy if you
don't mind a squarewave. You rig an Arduino to the frequency dividing
chip and program to taste. The hardest part is to make the 1/2 volt
10MHZ sinewave into the 10MHZ TTL-compliant squarewave!