[time-nuts] Equipment question: OCXO versus GPSDO + XTAL

Perry Sandeen sandeenpa at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 22:22:03 UTC 2011

Wrote: It seems like everybody is telling me "go for the cheaper, add the OCXO later on if you need it" - but that's not what I'm after. What I'd really like to do is to make up my mind based on educated opinions on this list whether the built-in OXCO option offers any advantage at all compared to standard clock + good external reference.

Hi Wolfgang,

I believe your best option is to buy the re-furbished HP Z3801A/58503A GPS Frequency/Time Receiver 10 MHz for $500 on epay.

It’s plug and play. Everything is included.  Turn on and forget.   The 10MHz oscillator is directly gps stabilized.  It’s in a case.  No mess with a switching power supply that’s not in a box.  True there is no Lady Heather but it comes with its own sat monitoring software.  His site says he’s sold 20 and has four left.

The only reason I don’t have one now is I don’t have one now is that dithering Obamymammie’s change have left me with just that: change.

Regards,

Perrier