[time-nuts] Result of Earth Quake speeds up earth?

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Mar 20 18:31:20 UTC 2011

jimlux wrote:
> On 3/19/11 10:41 PM, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>> Bruce Griffiths wrote:

>>> 3C273
>>>
>>> RA 12:29.1 DEC 02:03.1
>> Its flux density is around 30 Jy in the waterhole region.
>> ie about 3E-17W per square meter for a 100MHz bandwidth.
>> The radio spectrum is relatively flat due to the synchroton nature of
>> the blazar source.
>

> Ok, so lets say our ambitious amateur has a 3 meter diameter dish..
> that's about 7 square meters.  Knock that down to 4 square meters to
> make up for illumination and feed issues.  So we're looking at 12E-17 W
> or 1.2E-13 mW or -130dBm, in 100 MHz BW.
>
> Say we want the "signal" to be comparable to the noise power, what do
> we need for a noise temperature.. kTB = -130dBm.  kT = -174dBm/Hz for
> 300K, B = 80dBHz.   (so at room temp, kTB would be -94dBm.. we need to
> drop noise power by at least 40 dB, so T needs to be down in the "sub
> 1 K" area, which is totally impractical.
>
> Looks like we need a bigger antenna..
> Unless there's some clever correlation scheme.

With 2 or more antennas and integration times of 100sec to 1000 sec its
routine to image objects well below the thermal noise level.
The fluctuations in the source signal correlate whereas the thermal
noise in a receiver/dish pair do not.

Modeling of the relative drift and frequency (and phase) offset (even if
they are hydrogen masers) of the 2 sampling clocks involved is sometimes
necessary.

Bruce