[time-nuts] Squaring Tbolt 10Mhz output

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Thu Mar 24 02:59:05 UTC 2011

James wrote:

>I'm trying to square the 10Mhz output from a Thunderbolt GPSDO, and failing
>miserably. I'm still very new at this so please forgive my ignorance. I
>thought it was going to be easy. I have tried diodes, comparators,
>op-amps, Schmidt trigger buffers,regular buffers, inverters, and
>differential amplifier circuits. I must be missing something simple because
>i just can't shape the wave into a square wave. Has any one done this?

I concur with Bruce that most of these should work.  More details
about what you have tried (i.e., schematics), and what results you
have gotten, will be necessary for us to be able to help you.  (The
list accepts small attachments.)

Meanwhile, here are two links you can peruse that give several
shaping circuits (the second link is Bruce's work):

http://www.wenzel.com/documents/waveform.html

http://www.ko4bb.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=precision_timing:clock_shapers

Best regards,

Charles