[time-nuts] Parts Selection

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 25 17:45:57 UTC 2011

My answers below (cursing iPad mail reader for this kind of thing)

On Mar 25, 2011, at 10:07 AM, "Bob Camp" <lists at rtty.us> wrote:

> I'm not talking about opinions on weather it can or can't be done. It
> certainly can be done and is done every day. What I'm asking is - would you
> buy a bag with the parts all in it?

Nope.  I'm a buy the board already assembled kind of guy.  I'm willing to cobble up enclosures or double sided foam tape it to a cookie sheet for breadboarding, but I guess I've sort of turned into a system integrator

> If you do are you going to put it
> together in a reasonable amount of time?  Reasonable time might mean
> different things to different people. For the sake of completeness, yes you
> also need to get it working after you assemble it.

At this point, even for hobby stuff, I'm willing to pay for someone else to do assembly. For instance, I don't install my own coax connectors.  To the point where I get a prebuilt cable and cut it in half to get two coax pigtails to solder to something.

> Next layer (you knew there had to be more) - have you done it before
> (anywhere)? / done it in the last 2 years (at home)? / are you set up to do
> it today (at home)?

Yes, no, no