[time-nuts] Commercial Assembly - Poll

Bob Paddock bob.paddock at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 13:55:57 UTC 2011

> Since it's a short run, I suspect the "per run" charges (machine setup and screens) will be a significant part of what would be paid.

See what I wrote on my blog sometime ago "Is there a rule of thumb for
estimating the cost of getting circuit boards assembled?".

http://blog.designer-iii.com/contract_manufacturer/20090616-211514-Is-there-a-rule-of-thumb-for-estimating-the-cost-of-getting-circuit-boards-assembled

There are design-for-manufacture tips that few ever think of that can
lower costs.  For example if you are using a 0.1uF cap. all of those
caps should be placed on the same side of the board.
Some CM's will run one side of the board on one machine, and the other
side of the board on the other.  If the same part is on both sides the
set up fee is higher because you have to move the reel of parts
between machines.

Also things like don't put 0402 parts between, comparatively, huge
tantalum capacitors, because you would have to switch vacuum nozzles.

--
http://blog.softwaresafety.net/
http://www.designer-iii.com/