[time-nuts] WWVB Measurements

Lenny Story lenny at Codematic.com
Sat Mar 26 20:26:18 UTC 2011

Greetings All,

This is my first post to this board.

I've completed the first run of a WWVB receiver board and Antenna (custom
wound quad). Its an 8051 microcontroller, with a serial port really, but it
can decode the signal accurately pretty much all day long. (I'm just north
of boston, MA).

I'm wanting to evaluate its performance, my guess is i'll have to produce a
plot of its PPS. In reading the LeapSecond.com site (awesome btw), the
"Allen Deviation" is used.  As this is my first technical, experience in
this area, is there a resource or method that is preferred by those who know
this technology ?

The code reports the time delta between each detected second. If i log the
PPS deltas for an entire day (or week) of detected signal, is that enough
data to start figuring out how to do the "Allen Deviation" calculations ?

Any resources can you recommend to figuring out the graphs i need to produce
?

Thanks in advance for your help !
-Lenny Story