[time-nuts] WWVB PPS clock pulse ?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 28 17:44:19 UTC 2011

> Greetings,
>
> Is there an accepted form for the PPS clock pulses that are produced
> by the various time equipment in use today ?
>
> A 1 hz square wave ?
> -- Does the duty cycle have to be exact or only its "rising" edge ?
>
> Or can I do a rising edge PPs pulse that's active for 10ms then lowers ?
>
> Is there an equipment manual(s) that you guys can recommend, that I
> can refer to ?
>
> Thanks, yet again,
> -lenny

Lenny, programs such as NTP expect a pulse in the region of 100-200ms
long, it's not critical.  That's what the GPS pucks produce.  A few
microseconds might be too short for the interrupt to be properly handled,
10ms would likely be OK, but with 100ms you can put an LED on the signal
and verify visibly that it's present and perhaps correct.

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
Email:  david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk